Home arrow Church arrow History
History Print E-mail

History of Hambledon Parish Church


The Parish Church of Hambledon, dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, stands proudly at the top of the hill overlooking the village spread along the valley below. The main structure of the large and complex building dates from the 13th century. However, within this shell there is an almost complete late Saxon church dating from 11th century making it is the oldest structure in the village.

Later additions include a 15th century porch and the 18th century tower rebuilt after a near catastrophic fire in 1794. The church was carefully restored in 1876 with various Victorian alterations and most recently has had significant work carried out to replace the roofs of the south and north aisles. The church has been the centre of the Hambledon community for more than a 1000 years and remains today the focus of religious life.

Hambledon has been described as like a textbook of medieval architecture with a number of unusual features including both the north and south aisles and the nave being divided midway along their length by distinctive arches. The roofs are mainly medieval. The stained glass windows date from the late Victorian era and there are a number of small wall memorials from the early 18th century onwards. The church is set in a large churchyard filled with a variety of tombstones.   Close by the South porch, there is a massive yew tree with a hollow trunk known as "The Domesday Yew" thought to be about 1000 years old.

Saxon Times

Before the Norman Conquest in 1066 there stood a Saxon church on the present site. The thatched model in the north aisle shows a possible outline of its appearance with a nave about 40 feet long and 18 feet wide. The chancel measures 16 feet long and 14 feet wide. This simple little church may have been one of those ordered to be built in stone by King Canute, in place of an older wooden one burnt down by raiders from the sea. Today this Saxon church is at the heart of the larger building.


12th Century - Early Norman Period

In about 1160 the church was expanded with the small addition of the north aisle and the north wall of the Saxon nave was pierced by two rounded arches with their remarkable mouldings clearly visible today. Twenty years later the north aisle was extended further to the east and a south aisle added by piercing the Saxon nave wall with two pointed arches.

13th Century - The Great Enlargement

The great enlargement of the church occurred in the 13th century in several stages. Early in the 13th century the massive round-headed Saxon chancel arch was replaced by the very fine Early English arch which still stands in the middle of the length of the nave.

Later on, the Saxon chancel was lengthened to the west, and the aisles were extended, first on the north and then on the south side.  A course of stone at the top of the wall in the eastern part of the north side, extending as far as the middle of the second arch, shows the length of the Saxon Chancel.   Later still the chancel that we now see, was built further to the east. Large squints on either side of the chancel arch give a good view of the altar from the aisles. The western tower was also built during the 13th century.

In the south wall of the chancel a piscina used for rinsing the sacred vessels can be seen. In the wall of the south aisle there is an aumbry or recess for a cupboard. Near the south door are the remains of a stoup or receptacle for holy water.

15th Century - Further Enlargement

The vestry in the west tower and the south porch were built about 1500 and were in two stories.   Above the south door may have been the doorway cut obliquely through the wall to the upper room of the vestry. Remains of a stone drain from the upper floor can still be seen on the outside of the vestry wall. It is thought probable that a priest or hermit lived in these chambers. During the 15th century some of the Early English lancet windows were replaced by Perpendicular windows.   The pulpit today has some good 15th century carving.

18th - Century - The 1788 Fire

In 1788 a near catastrophic fire resulted in massive destruction of the medieval structure at the west end of the church. The upper stages of the tower and the whole of the west and north walls of the tower had to be rebuilt.The recently rehung peal of 6 bells survived the conflagration and today regularly ring out across the valley.

19th Century - The Victorian Era

After a period of decay a major reconstruction and refurbishment of the church was carried out starting in 1876.   The west doorway is a Victorian copy of the Early English work and the west window is also modern.   The old font, which had been in the church for over 400 years, was given to Denmead, then a daughter church of Hambledon and now an independent parish.   The font today is a modern replacement.   The upper floors of the porch and the vestry were also removed.   The regimental colours hanging over the south aisle were those of the Hambledon Volunteers during the Napoleonic Wars.

20th Century - Recent Alterations

A long-term scheme for the improvement of the church's interior was undertaken in the late 1960s. The choir stalls were restored to their original position in the chancel and the old organ removed. A new two manual organ was installed in the south aisle with the pipes mounted high in the nave. The organ box and the chancel roof were decorated in a distinctive medieval style.   Other changes included the replacement of the Victorian tiling of the chancel floor was by light coloured stone. The altar was lengthened and a dorsal curtain toning with the colour of the east window replaced the wood panelling. In 1990 the upper floor above the vestry was restored and serves today as a meeting room, particularly for the Sunday school.

21st Century - The New Millennium

To celebrate the beginning of the Third Millennium of the Christian faith, a small chapel was created at the west end of the north aisle. Contemporary artists and craftsmen have designed and made the furniture. The altar is made of English oak decorated with religious and farming symbols. The sculptured crucifix draws inspiration from crosses found in other Norman churches. The commemorative floor tablet has the inscription:

TO MARK THE YEAR
OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST
MM
AND THE THIRD MILLENNIUM
OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH

In the churchyard a "Millennium Yew" has been planted. This is a sapling grown from a 2000 old yew and symbolises the continuity of the Christian faith.

More recently the church has undertaken a major programme of roof repairs to the north and south aisles, and a general overhaul of the fabric.



For a more detailed description of Hambledon Church, please consult: "Hampshire and The Isle of Wight", Nikolaus Pevsner and David Lloyd in The Buildings of England series published by Penguin Books.


Last Updated ( Tuesday, 08 June 2010 )